By starting a hunting fitness program you will be ready for the upcoming season. It won’t be to much longer and it will be deer season. Every deer season you hear about hunters that suffer heart attacks while outdoors. It requires some physical exertion, and sometimes can be down right exhausting. A hunting fitness program can be a lot of fun and make you feel better.
We get out of bed sometimes early in the morning with little sleep after working hard all week. We sometimes don’t eat right when at deer camp. I mean your hanging out with your friends cooking steaks. Maybe drinking a few beers at night. Stay up late by the campfire telling lies and then get up early the next morning with little sleep. There are some things that you can do to improve your health tremendously. And now is a great time to start during the off season.
So when deer season rolls around you will be lean and mean. And ready for a successful year of deer hunting big bucks. So let’s all do some good for ourselves and do a little off season hunting fitness.
Hunting Fitness Tips
- One thing you can do to make you feel better almost immediately is start eating more fruits and vegetables. Fresh fruits and vegetables are best, then frozen, then canned. Eat less red meat and more chicken and fish, baked or broiled, but not fried. Cut back on caffeine, tobacco,sugar and alcohol, with moderation being the key. It is also good to take a multivitamin once a day.
- The first thing you can do if you haven’t exercised in a while is go to your doctor and get a physical. Once you start an exercise program you want to start slow and work your way up before doing an intense workout.
- Lately I have been jogging about 3-4 times a week. I usually jog about 3.5 miles in about 30 minutes. I love running, nothing makes me feel better than a good jog. Your body actually releases endorphins when you run that give you a high on life feeling. If you can’t jog walk or do some type of cardio exercise that raises your heart rate. They say you want to do some type of cardio that raises your heart rate at least 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes each time.
- One thing I have found is that some good up tempo music will really help motivate you when working out or jogging.
- Another thing that would be good to get you in shape is some type of resistance training. Lifting weights is a great way to shed the fat and get lean. The lighter weights with more reps will tone your body more and the heavier weights will get you bigger. If you don’t have weights to use you can do push ups and sit ups which I do some along with lifting some weights.
- Sleep is also important, but sometimes not easy to come by. 8-10 hours is great, I know were not always able to get it but try to get at least 8 hours when possible.
Just Do More
I’m not gonna sit here and make it sound like I am some fitness guru. Because I could do a lot more than I do as far as working out.
I always have to really push myself to get off my fat butt and run or workout. My thing is I do pretty good about jogging. But I don’t lift as many weights as I would like. And when I do run I get really hungry afterwards and don’t make the best food choices. Cookies and ice cream are my weakness. But I am determined to get in better shape and get ready for a successful season this year. I know if I eat right, exercise, get some sleep, cut back on alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and sugar I will feel better. And probably be a better deer hunter, and will reduce stress. And I’ll be ready to drag that big trophy buck out of the woods this fall.